Fish Chop (Macher chop) or Bengali style fish cutlet is one of the favourite snacks of Bengalis. We can get fish chop or cutlet anywhere in Kolkata in any corner to any street; it is also one of the popular street foods in Kolkata.
It is one of the favourite tea time snacks for Bengalis and eastern india.The main Ingredient used is Vetki or Rohu which is easily available in market. People sometime use Sole or Tuna fish. Potato is the second important ingredient for the recipe but , here I used dry potato powder for quick preparation .In addition I also used flour strips to make it extra attractive. The deep fry makes chops very tasty but one can also bake it .Try out my version over the weekend.
· Vetki/Bhetki fish or Ruho fish( Boiled and mashed)-400 grams.
(Boil fish pieces with 1 piece of garlic and little bit of salt)
· Chopped Garlic -2 tsp.
· Chopped ginger-1 tbsp.
· Onion chopped-1 no.
· Chopped coriander-1 tbsp.
· Chopped green chili-2 nos.
· Corn flex powder [Use blender to make it’s powder form]-2 tbsp.
· Dry potato powder-3 tbsp.
**if you use boiled potato, then you definitely need more corn flex powder due to drying up the boiled potatoes’ water
· Garam masala powder-1 tsp.
· (dry roast the cumin seed, coriander seed ,green cardamom, clove and cinnamon stick and make powder.
· White oil –for deep frying
For making dough
· Flour- ½ cup
· Onion seed-1/4 tsp.
· White oil-1 tsp.
· Little bit water-as required to make dough
· Salt -1 pinch
· Taking all dough ingredients make soft dough and keep aside.
· In a frying pan heat 1 tsp. of oil and lightly sauté ginger, garlic and onion .Remove from heat and put it in a plate.
· Mix all other ingredients and mix well.
· Divide equal balls from it and make a cylindrical shaped chop. Keep aside.
· Take flour dough and cut a medium sized ball from it.
· Spread it out with a rolling pin and cut it horizontally or vertically.
· Stick and roll it over the prepared chop.
· Put it in refrigerator for good binding atleast for 15 minutes.
· Fry it in medium hot oil.