‘General Tso's chicken’ -as the name suggests is related to Chinese cuisine and one of the popular recipes in American Chinese Restaurants .Basically I find it is similar to chilly chicken using different sauces .It is a sweet, slightly spicy, deep-fried chicken dish .Although I heard the name before but I never tried it and it is my first attempt and I find its truly awesome in taste. Quoting from Wikipedia “The dish is named after General Tso Tsung-tang, or Zuo Zongthag a Qing dynasty general and statesman, although there is no recorded connection to him”. There is lot of speculation regarding the origin and original taste of the recipe. The dish or its variants are known by a number of names, including Governor Tso's chicken, General Gau's chicken, General Tao's chicken, General Tsao's chicken, General Tong's chicken, General Tang's chicken, General Cho's chicken, General Chau's chicken, General Joe's Chicken, T.S.O. Chicken, General Ching's chicken, or simply General's Chicken.
Keeping the name aside I just followed ‘Vahrehvah kichen’ with little twist, made the ‘Hoisin Sauce’ at home as I had not found it in the store. Try out the dish and you realise the taste of true Chinese cuisine.
I have also added the procedure of making the substitute of Hoisin Sauce
· Chicken Breast(cut into cubes)- 250 Grams
· Chicken Stock – 1 Cup
· Soya Sauce - 2 tbsp.
· Hoisin Sauce (homemade) - 1 tbsp
· Sugar - 1 Tablespoons
· Rice Vinegar - 2 tbsp.
· Whole Red Chili - 4 Nos.
· Chopped Garlic - 1 tsp.
· Chopped Ginger - 1 tsp.
· Corn Starch - 1 tbsp.
· Spring Onion for garnish
· Soya Sauce - few drops
· Egg White - 1 tbsp.
· Corn Flour 1/2 Cup.
· Oil to deep fry.
· Pepper Powder to taste.
· Salt to taste.
DIRECTIONS to make Hoisin Sauce
4 tablespoons Soya sauce
2 tablespoons Peanut butter.
1 tablespoon honey.
2 teaspoons vinegar
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients together to make Hoisin Sauce.
Method to make General Tso’s Chicken
· Make a mixture of sauce add chicken stock, soya sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, pepper powder, salt and keep a side
· Now make a batter to deep fry chicken add soya sauce, egg white, and corn flour, chicken and mix it,
· Deep fry in slow flame till light brown color.
· Now Heat a pan and add oil, chopped ginger garlic whole red chilies, corn starch, sauce mixture and simmer till it become light thick now add fried chicken
· Finally cook it for some time till sauce coat to chicken pieces, garnish it with spring and serve hot